Published March 01, 2018 by

How I was Murdered by a Fox Monster Chapter 10

Summary: They say life flashes before you in that moment before death. I could see it all reflected in the blade. I was standing under the cherry blossoms at my school entrance ceremony, eating cake at my sister's wedding, standing outside praying the monster wouldn't come tonight. I might not be dead yet but I can see what's coming, this is the story of how I was murdered by a fox monster!


Go To Chapter: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24



Chapter 10


My happiest memories of becoming an exorcist were when I would study so late, that Sis agreed to let me spend the night at headquarters.

I was so excited. It was like the cool kids had finally allowed me into their club house.

"Wow, it's just like a sleepover," I said.

"I don't see what's so exciting about it," said Kiyori before promptly laying down and passing out.

Taisei on the other hand was full of energy. As I already mentioned, Itsuki was dead set against becoming an exorcist, and the others didn't appear that enthusiastic either. Taisei was probably the only one who thought it was fun. He had collected photos from every Obake they'd beaten, and proudly pinned them to his bedroom wall. I thought it was an awesome idea, until I realized Sis would murder me if I stuck pins into her house.

"Behold! My ultimate Obake collection," he proclaimed as soon as I rolled my futon out onto his floor.

"Wow."

I rushed to the far wall and rapidly gazed over the images like they could disappear at any moment. Cat people, raccoon monsters, and talking rabbits all stared back at me from the paper. He'd even done various poses and peace signs in front of the carcasses, and there was even a photo of him planking.

"I found one of you, Dai-chan," he said while pointing to the far corner.



I brought my face closer to the photo to see half my body protruding out from behind a giant raccoon Obake. He must have taken it before Akito confiscated his camera.

"This is amazing," I said in awe.

I turned to see Taisei whip out a powder brush and proudly dust his photos.

"Isn't it," he said. "I think it's important to have a record of our efforts, but I'm not sure if Akito likes it."

"Why?"

He shrugged.


"Because Akito is just Akito, that's all there is to it."

"No, no good," came the voice of Souta.

I turned to find him trying to somehow squeeze his futon into the only free space left in the room.

"I don't get it, why are you guys all squished in here?"

I felt bad for taking up space. I attempted to move my futon over so that he'd at least have enough room to lie down.

"Itsuki gets his own room because he needs to concentrate on his studies," said Souta. "Then Nina and Kurumi fight all the time, so the girls take up the other two rooms."

Itsuki must had heard us because he took the opportunity to poke his head in and look around.

"Hey, can you try to keep it down," said Itsuki. "I'm trying to study."

"Oh, yeah, sure," Taisei turned to me. "Shut up Daisuke."

"That dick Itsuki," I muttered while punching my pillow.

I could remember hating him so much back then. Itsuki was chilling out in his own personal room while the rest of us were crammed in like sardines. Souta wasn't kidding when he told me that Kiyori farted all night, and Kiyori suddenly let off one so stinky that I had to flee to the hallway.


Mana's room was across the hall. She had the sliding door open and I could see her bent over the desk staring at a textbook while taking notes. A large pair of black glasses were resting across her brim. The lenses looked thick, so maybe she wore contacts during the day, but I thought she looked better with glasses.

"Wow, Mana," I said. "I didn't know you wore glasses, you look so smart."

She jumped in surprise and looked up to see me standing in the doorway.

"Oh Daisuke, you startled me."









"I'm sorry."

Mana removed her glasses and began rubbing her eyes.

"But they're really troublesome for exorcising, and they make my nose look big."

"Nah, they're great! You look awesome!"

"Thanks," she smiled.

I heard a cough. I peered down the hall to see Itsuki with his head out the door glaring daggers at me.

"Don't you have your own room to go to," he hissed.

I gritted my teeth. It was like the guy was on a mission to ruin my fun.

"Geez," I muttered.

Every time I attempted to have a conversation with Mana, Itsuki would always sneak up behind us and begin making coughing noises, or make up errands that she suddenly needed to run.

I went back to my room and returned to punching my pillow. I couldn't punch Itsuki in real life (because he was a fit exorcist genius) so the pillow would have to do.

Apparently I wasn't the only one tired of his attitude, and within a few minutes I could also hear Mana's voice down the hall. All the doors in the house were made of paper so it wasn't difficult to hear them.

"Itsuki. I don't know what's up with you, but don't you think your treatment towards Daisuke is a bit excessive? This isn't like you," she said.

"I just don't think you should hang out with that guy," said Itsuki. "Just look at him. He's a complete idiot. How could you live with the Matsumotos and know nothing about Obake."

"But he could learn a lot from you if you just gave him a chance."

"It's a waste of time. He's stupid, unreliable, obviously trapped in his own fantasy worl-"

"Hey! I can hear you!" I yelled.

Mana dropped her voice to a whisper, but it was still loud enough for me to hear.

"I know this isn't just about not going to the school you wanted. Maybe you're jealous bu-"

"Me, jealous? Why would I be jealous of Daisuke Matsu-morron."

"Things are going to change now that we're in high school, things aren't always going to be the same as when we were kid-" She was suddenly cut off by the sliding door slamming.

"Itsuki!" Mana yelled. "Don't shut me out like this! When are you going to accept change!" I heard her feet stomping back up the hall. "Idiot Itsuki!" She shouted.

"Welcome to headquarters," muttered Taisei. "And this is a quiet evening."

I turned to ask Souta if it was true, but he already had his earphones in and was peacefully listening to music. He obviously had the right idea.

Despite the commotion, I felt overjoyed that Mana was mad at Itsuki. I hoped her rage towards him would continue on forever (it didn't) and eventually give me the opportunity to ask her out.

"Idiot Itsuki," I sounded like a fantastic nickname.

I attempted to use the bathroom before turning in for the night, but the door was already locked, so I had no choice but to endure and go to bed.

I was too preoccupied by humming idiot Itsuki repeatedly to myself to look where I was going, and I almost bawled face first into what looked like Nina. She was dressed for bed in a pair of pink pajamas and her hair was neatly tied back into a bun. She was carrying a hair dryer and an armful of moisturizers and creams.

"Watch it," she muttered.

I opened my mouth to apologize but I suddenly noticed she had bleached her hair blonde. It looked pretty good, and I assumed she got the idea from Kurumi.

"Wow Nina, when did you bleach your hair?" I asked.

Her eyes narrowed into a death glare. "I'm not Nina," she replied darkly.

I wanted to ask if she was having an identity crisis, until I suddenly realized that I was talking to Kurumi without any makeup or hair accessories.

"Wow, sorr-" I attempted to apologize, but she shoved me out of the way before I could finish, and stormed off down the hall towards the bathroom.

"So moody," I muttered to myself.

I rubbed my shoulder from where she shoved me and returned to the bedroom.

Taisei was sorting through his latest stack of pictures.

"Hey, has it ever struck you that Kurumi looks like Nina without all the makeup on?" I asked.

"Of course she does, they're cousins after all," he replied.

"Really?" I'd never considered it.

"I don't know why you look so surprised, most of us are all distantly related. Didn't Akito already give you the big speech about inheritance and our ancestors receiving blood from the great what's-his-name Obake."

"No, but tell me more."

"Most of it's all a bunch of crap-"

He was suddenly interrupted by the sound of yelling from the hallway.

Taisei sighed. "And so it starts."

"You've been in there for an hour, just get out already!" Screeched Kurumi.

"Not this again," moaned Kiyori.

He reached for a pillow and stuck it over his head.

What followed was at least ten minutes of screaming and insults from Kurumi and Nina (which I don't feel comfortable repeating) directed mostly at each other's personal appearances, and Kurumi insisting that Nina was so ugly that there was nothing she could do in the bathroom to fix it.

"Cut it out!" Yelled Itsuki from his room.

Even Taisei looked annoyed. He huffed and slid all his photos into the desk draw.

"Those two used to get along well when they were children, but recently they've been intolerable."

"Maybe it's because of a certain someone!" Yelled Mana from her room.

"Mana! Isn't it past your bedtime!" Taisei yelled back.

"What do I look like, five?"

"I don't know, sometimes I really can't tell the difference!"

"Can everyone please just shut up!" Yelled Itsuki. "I have a math test tomorrow!"

I peered out the door just in time to see Nina emerge from the bathroom. Her face was covered in green goo and she was brandishing a hair drying in one hand. She threw it, aiming for Kurumi's head, but luckily Kurumi ducked in time and it went through the wall.

I stared in horror, unable to move or say anything.

Although Nina wasn't as skilled at exorcising as the others, her aim became dead on when she was mad enough.





Go To Chapter: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24



Get the ebook: Amazon / Smashwords / iTunes / B&N / Kobo

Paperback: Amazon

      edit