Published April 10, 2019 by

Differences between “How I was Murdered by a Fox Monster” and “The Monster Exorcist”


Recently I’ve been receiving a lot of downloads for my free story The Monster Exorcist so I thought that I better clear up the differences between it and How I was Murdered by a Fox Monster.


I originally wrote How I was Murdered by a Fox Monster back in 2012. I wanted to write a story about hero, who is actually a monster, and a bunch of his friends. I live in central Japan, so I based it mostly off my own life and things and people that I encountered while living in here.

It took about six months to write (I was single with plenty of time) and like most self-published stories it didn’t really get anywhere. I didn’t feel confident enough to put any money behind it, so I decided to just offered it up for free on a bunch of sites. Some of you may have even downloaded the book for free.  

Somewhere in 2014 I decided that perhaps my book was too Japanese for English speaking audiences, so I decided to try rewriting it with more Western Style names. Set in some random English speaking place with I never specify. I also decided that the name was a little long and confusing, so I renamed my new version The Monster Exorcist. I didn’t make too many changes to the story, other than removing some Japanese references. There is also an extra chapter to the end of the story, which really wasn’t that well written, so I decided not to add it to How I was Murdered by a Fox Monster.

In short it didn’t really make the story any more successful and I didn’t make more sales. I decided to go ahead and write the second story The Monster Exorcist: New Foes. I wrote it as part of The Monster Exorcist, not HIWMBAFM so I really cut back on some of the Japanese themes from the story.

After finishing the second book, The Monster Exorcist hadn’t really gone anywhere, and no one had bought the second book. I was receiving more emails about HIWMBAFM, so I decided to scrap the whole Monster Exorcist project and just go back to HIWMBAFM, renaming the second book How I was Murdered by a Monster King. I had to go through the who story and change all the names back which was a real pain. A few of them I missed which showed up in reviews.

I deleted most of the online versions of The Monster Exorcist but I decided to leave it up on Smashwords for free, because it was still a good way on introducing people to my work.

If you liked The Monster Exorcist then I encourage you to read the second story How I was Murdered by a Monster King. I know that the name changes may be a little annoying, but he’s a list of them below.

HIWMBAFM                      The Monster Exorcist

Daisuke Matsumoto             Michael Matsumoto

Kousuke Matsumoto          Able Matsumoto

Kanako Matsumoto            Katrina Matsumoto

Hikaru                                Sophie

Shuro                                 Steve

Taisei Shinya                      Tyson Song

Mana Shinya                      Annie Song

Kiyori                                 Kurt
Kurumi                              Katie

Souta                                Laurence

Itsuki                                 Isaac

Nina                                   Nina

Shiki Moriyama                 Sean Lopez

Book Two: How I Was Murdered By A Monster King


Daisuke here. Last time we met I joined a secret organization of exorcists who hunt down evil monsters which are disguised as regular animals. My training was going great until a super powerful fox monster attacked and my teacher tried to kill me. Now my friends and the organization are accusing me of being a monster in human form, but that can’t be possible, can it?


      edit